This job is no longer available.
Chautauqua Institution seeks a Vice President of Marketing and Communications/Chief Brand Officer for this not-for-profit global convener of dialogue and debate on the most significant and compelling issues of the day – through engagement across the four pillars of arts, education, religion, and recreation. As a member of the senior leadership team, this executive reports directly to the new President. The CBO will guide the Institution's actions to create a forward-thinking, vigorous external engagement and branding strategy, which strategically extends programmatic outreach, the use of technology, and underscores Chautauqua's mission through the use of integrated marketing/communications. S/he can expect to use innovative strategies while leveraging Chautauqua's programs to engage the community inside and outside the grounds of Chautauqua, along with understanding/embracing digital and social media channels.
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications/Chief Brand Officer leads and manages a team that is responsible for marketing; communications; all print and digital publications; video production; content management; external relations; websites and digital properties; ticketing operations and sales; guest relations and experience including accommodations management; business intelligence, data and analytics; office services.
Key initial priorities include:
• Develop a comprehensive branding and marketing strategy, which supports the goals of a vision ushered in by the new President, which centers on external engagement and expanding Chautauqua's reach, in anticipation of an evolving strategic plan. The CBO will be a central leader in creating and championing this new plan.
• Serve as the key architect for messaging about the Institution and its various interests, including helping frame issues and content for the President.
• Work collaboratively with the President, the Board of Trustees' standing committee on marketing, and senior staff colleagues in developing and executing the overall plan.
• Ensure that appropriate resources are in place and allocated efficiently to drive the plan, and that staff have clear performance goals and accountabilities.
• Create clear and compelling public relations (including issues management), communication, and media plans; and execute those plans through effective internal leadership and use of outside resources.
• Beta test, evaluate and release marketing pilot projects.
• As part of the senior team, assist in program development, and identifying target markets and approaches.
• Craft messages for under-represented constituencies to whom we intend to intensify marketing and outreach, including religious communities as well as ethnic-racial, socioeconomic, LGBT and international, among others.
• Create and work with department staff to develop pricing strategies, including dynamic pricing, promotions, retention and growth initiatives.
• Develop and monitor key metrics around marketing and business performance.
• Plan and deliver customer relationship management (CRM) strategies across the organization that increase guest satisfaction and retention.
The successful candidate must have extensive leadership experience in marketing and branding at a senior level; and will possess demonstrated competency in strategically coordinating a world-class marketing and branding strategy. A proven record of success and results in marketing/branding and external engagement through new and emerging media are essential.
In addition, s/he will bring strong business acumen and experience in or sensitivity to the non-profit environment; and must demonstrate a passion for serving the Chautauqua audience along with an authentic interest in significant issues of the day, arts, culture, education, religion and recreation. The successful candidate must work in dynamic partnerships with the Chautauqua Foundation, which leads philanthropic efforts on behalf of the Institution. In addition, a background or appreciation for hospitality/accommodations and for-profit minded enterprises is necessary for the department's work promoting and supporting the revenue goals of the Athenaeum Hotel and related enterprises.
We prefer an advanced degree in liberal arts or business with a proven work history of developing competency and knowledge in other fields of interest. The selected candidate will be an outstanding leader of people with a successful record of building, motivating and leading and collaborating with high performing teams. S/he should be comfortable in a setting where creativity and leveraging resources are essential, and where s/he can shine as a superb external representative of Chautauqua with a dynamic style; outstanding speaking and writing skills; and a strong relationship builder.
Additionally, this executive must have the capability and desire to work collegially and collaboratively across functional areas within Chautauqua.
To apply, visit (...)
As part of the application, feel encouraged to submit a cover letter/resume as a single pdf.